The Trek Fitness Program is the complete 10-week program to prepare you for your next adventure.
We combine Sunday morning treks in national parks around Sydney with cutting-edge training techniques to give you fantastic results!
- Are you about to go on a challenging trek such as Kokoda, Kilimanjaro, Everest Base Camp, Machu Picchu or the Oxfam Trailwalker and want to make sure you’re fit enough to cope?
- Would you prefer to get fit for your trek with less time and less effort?
- Are you looking for a simple and highly effective trekking fitness program that’s designed by fitness experts who understand exactly what you’re preparing for?
Most people heading off on a trek want to be at a level where they can truly enjoy the whole experience. Unfortunately, juggling a busy life and lacking a specific fitness plan leaves many trekkers less prepared than they should be.
And that’s where The Trek Fitness Program comes in.
We promise you that you can be prepared for your adventure without necessarily training harder just by training smarter. When trying to fit their preparation into a busy schedule, most people either go out for some walks or attend a mix of fitness classes at the gym. When you’re lacking in time to prepare, taking part in unplanned workouts that are not tailored to the trekking environment will not give you the results that you are after or deserve – and sometimes it can be extremely dangerous. It doesn’t have to be this way!
The Trek Fitness Program is all about training more effectively for your trek so that you can get the fitness and energy you need so that you truly enjoy the experience!
Hi, I’m Alex Shirley, founder of the Trek Fitness Program. Since 2001, We’ve been designing outdoor training programs and have helped all kinds of people to prepare for challenging treks. If you want to be prepared to take part in a succesful and enjoyable trekking adventure then you have come to the right place. Have a browse on this site to see what we’re about and subscribe to start learning the 3 keys to getting in great shape for your trek, with less effort, less time and less frustration‘!
It’s our goal to transform the health and fitness of people who are about to embark on an adventure and to enable them to have the the fitness and energy that they, and you, deserve to have! We can’t do it without you…
The Trek Fitness Program is an excellent way to prepare for a demanding, multi-day walk. The interval training, combined with strength and balance building exercises, were ideal preparation activities for our expedition, walking with a pack… (Peter Nolan, Mountain Climber)
Primal Trek Fitness is designed to condition your whole body for adventure!
Combine treks in Sydney’s spectacular National Parks with cutting edge training techniques
Thank you Alex, for the calming reassurance your Trek Fitness Program gave me. Your ideal pre-trip fitness program meant that I was able to actually enjoy the walk, the whole experience of trekking was amazingly wonderful” Margaret, Mother of two
Sessions last up to 2 hours and combine trekking with interval and strength training and core conditioning. Perfect preparation for treks like Kokoda, Kilimanjaro, Everest Base Camp, Machu Picchu and the Oxfam Trailwalker (you don’t have to be training for a trek though – you might just want some more adventure in your weekly routine!). Recommended as one of the top five workouts in Sydney (Sydney Morning Herald, 26-30 May 2008)
Interval style training makes the sessions suitable for all fitness levels, from beginners to advanced
Gain endurance, strength and tone, reduce body fat, improve balance and stability and prepare yourself for adventure!
Group sessions are run on Sunday mornings (8.30am start) on the North Shore of Sydney . All sessions are within 50 mins drive of the CBD. Full details are set out below.
- 5 x Primal Trek Fitness Sessions
- A bonus one-on-one coaching session for new clients (valued at $150)
- The Essential Guide to Training Smarter for Treks (Online videos, audio and training guide valued at $14.95)
- Program 1 – January to February
- Program 2 – March to May
- Program 3 – June to July
- Program 4 – September to October
- 20th January – Centennial Park (2 hours)
- 27th January – Garrigal National Park (2 hours)
- 3rd February – Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park (2 hours)
- 10th February – Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park (2 hours)
- 17th February – Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park (2 hours)
- 10th March – Bradley’s Head (2 hours)
- 24th March – Garrigal National Park (2 hours)
- 7th April – Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park (2 hours)
- 21st April – Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park (2 hours)
- 5th May – Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park (2 hours)
- 2nd June – Bradley’s Head (2 hours)
- 16th June – Garrigal National Park (2 hours)
- 30th June – Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park (2 hours)
- 14th July – Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park (2 hours)
- 28th July – Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park (2 hours)
- 1st September – Centennial Park (2 hours)
- 15th September – Garrigal National Park (2 hours)
- 29th September – Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park (2 hours)
- 13th October – Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park (2 hours)
- 27th October – Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park (2 hours)
Our articles on training for treks have been published in leading fitness and adventure magazines including Wild and UltraFit
Healthy Trail Snack – Cashew and Almond Balls
2 cups each raw almonds and raw cashews
1 cup chopped dried apricots or sultanas
1 cup chopped dates
1 grated apple
Juice of 1 orange
1 tbsp coconut oil (optional)
Shredded coconut (optional)
Place all the ingredients into a food processor and blend until a dough consistency. Once ingredients are mixed, roll into small bite-sized balls or logs and roll in shredded coconut if desired. They keep best in the freezer!